The best homemade southern chili recipe, slightly spicy, flavorful, and downright delicious. Try this easy chili recipe with no beans.
3 lbs ground beef*
2 green bell peppers
3 tbsps of minced garlic
1 tbsp dried oregano
1/3 cup chili powder
2 tbsps smoked paprika
1 tbsp cumin
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1 1/2 tbsps sea salt ( salt to taste)
28 oz crushed tomatoes
3 cups water
- In a large heavy-bottomed pot brown the ground beef. Then drain the ground beef and set it aside.
- In the same pot, add 2 tbsps of olive oil. Then saute the onions and bell peppers in the olive on medium until they are tender and/or translucent. This should take about 5- 7 minutes.
- Add the garlic to the pan and saute for 1 minute.
- Add the ground beef to the pan. Stir to combine the meat/ veggie mixture.
- Add the spices and herbs to the mixture (Oregano, sea salt*, chili powder, smoked paprika, cumin, garlic powder, and onion powder.) Stir to combine the spices and herbs well. Cook on medium for 1 minute.
- Gently pour in the crushed tomatoes and water. Stir to combine.
- Bring the pot to a boil, cover with a lid, lower the heat, and bring the pot to a simmer. Let it simmer for 45 minutes to an hour. At 30 minutes, be sure to taste and adjust the salt level if needed.
- Serve and enjoy.
Be sure to adjust the salt level to your personal preference. Be sure to not overly salt the chili. Salt takes a little while to disperse. If you need to add salt, do so with little increments.
Toppings ideas: cheddar cheese, jalapenos (fresh or pickled), banana peppers, black olives, sour cream, tortilla chips and more.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: Dinner
- Cuisine: American